From Lawiki - The law notes repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lawiki for and by law students - find us on Facebook if you want to help us edit this Law Wiki.

Not professional advice - LAWIKI cannot guarantee the validity of any information

If a marriage is though to be void (see: Void Marriage), either partner can apply to the High court for a 'declaration of nullity', indicating that the marriage effectively never took place. If a marriage is voidable, but not void (see: Voidable marriage), either party can apply to a competent court for an annullment. Annullment is technically different from divorce (see: Divorce), because it rests on the state present at the time of marriage, not events that happened after marriage. In practice however, the effect of annullment is much the same as divorce.

Family Law